incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:29:59 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> The problem we have run into is that there are community members who
> wish to have at least the work that comes out of mail list  discussions
> to be able to be used in their GPL-ed code.  Now, it's  our interest as
> a project to produce things with the widest  usability, and wish to
> ensure that the "free software" communities  are able to fully
> participate in what we are doing, and be able to  take the results of
> our architecture work and implement themselves,  to make more software
> interoperable.

1.) I must admit, that I wasn't aware, that mailing list postings are
subject to copyrights and licenses. However, now that I get used to the
thought, my impression is this: If any license does apply, then the
first license I would think of, is ASL2. In particular, if all other
mailing lists have this license. In other words, a different license
seems to me an actual reason for confusion.

2.) I am no legal expert, but if a user posts some code to a mailing
list, then I would assume, that he's still the copyright holder (if the
posting is copyrightable at all). But if so, then he may as well choose
to post or use the same code somewhere else under a different license.

Jochen