incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:34:57 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> The OSGi community at large, several Apache committers and members
>> would like to start a new project based on the existing Oscar OSGi
>> Container which Richard Hall is graciously willing to donate.
>

> The OSGi community appears, from their own materials, to be a
> closed-circle consortium with a RAND-based cross-licensing
> agreement to members, in which OSGi's ability to license invented
> materials is limited to licenses to other members.
>
> Could you please explain how OSGi intends to comply with the
> Apache contributor license agreement at
>
>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
>
> Will all of the OSGi members be signing that agreement, or at
> least those with IP claims on the code/specifications?

As usual Roy some very good questions.  At this point (need to research
this further) we realize OSGi is a closed Alliance.  However note that
our goal is not to become a member of OSGi but rather to implement a
specification.  OSGi specifications are free to implement.  Like the RFC
process the specifications are crafted by a closed group.  However
anyone can implement these specifications.

The license to review is the one in  the specification  documentation,
which in essence says nothing other than the fact that you are NOT
indemnified against IP claims, which is standard CYA by the OSGi
Alliance.  The OSGi Alliance makes member companies declare up front any
IP claims, and none of them have.  Leaving the specification license as
a CYA.   Also please note that Oscar and KnoplerFish are OSS
implementations of that specification that have been around for 5 years
now.  This suggests there are no IP restrictions on implementing the
specification.  Also note Roy that our intention is to unify the Oscar
and KnoplerFish communities with a single effort at the ASF.  These
communities already exist with existing code bases.  Our mission is to
bring this all together in one place.

Regards,
Alex