incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r178965 - /incubator/public/trunk/site-author/learn/newcommitters.html
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:12:03 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 12:16 PM 7/7/2005, Ted Husted wrote:
>
>>On 7/7/05, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't believe we should have PMC
>>>lists (only dev and private), which is why your scenario doesn't
>>>apply in my model of how a project works.
>>
>>Could someone clarify on the difference between "private" and "pmc".
>

> I can take this question, I was paying attention :)
>
> Roy has been concerned for a -long- while that too much traffic
> occurs on pmc, and believes it's frequently abused.
>
> He's proposed that we change to private@ to make it perfectly
> clear that only private communications occurs there, and all the
> other day-to-day business of the pmc would be more likely to occur
> on the dev list if the list's name wasn't so abstract.
>
> And, I concur.

It isn't always clear to me what should be "private communication".
Perhaps some clarifying wording could be added to the "Balancing
confidentiality and public discussion" section of
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management .

For example, from various list threads (including some on this list) I'm
gathering that a private list is necessary for discussions about:

    - personnel decisions
    - legal points
    - negotiations (could use a little expansion)

What are typical examples of "abuse" (so we can avoid them)?

thanks,

  -jean