incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r178965 - /incubator/public/trunk/site-author/learn/newcommitters.html
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:45:52 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Ken expressed concern:
>

> Please note that the text did offer either approach as acceptable, and up to
> each PMC, so I am not entirely sure of the real point of contention.  If the
> PMC prefers one over the other, use it.

But only one is described as '... Best Practice for ASF projects ...'
and since text is aimed at incubator projects, it seems such projects
will try to follow the ASF best practice, so it's not really a balanced
choice between the two.

The history of this discussion was that folks were somewhat unhappy that
the Derby PPMC voted a committer in without following either of the ways
described, even though that document was added after the vote was
complete! So to make "every one" happy we voted to changed to the "ASF
best practice" as described on the incubator site, and then still there
are complaints. As an incubator project it sometimes feels you can't win
because there is no single idea of how an ASF project should be run.

Dan.