incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:56:46 GMT

On Jul 28, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Thursday 28 July 2005 22:59, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Sure - every mail list at the ASF has been understood to be under the
>> Apache License for contributions, and if you choose to submit
>> something to a mail list that isn't intended for people to use, you
>> mark it as "NOT A CONTRIBUTION".
>>
>> Without this, no one could take anything from mail lists and use in
>> projects because they wouldn't have been contributed under a license
>> we accept.
>>

> I doubt this is legally binding to any degree what so ever. ( A formal
> reference to what you claim would also be interesting, since after
> 7 years on
> various ASF mailing lists, I have never come across that
> contributions over
> mail has implicit licensing infered by the non Copyright holder...)

It's always been my assumption that all contributions are under the
Apache License, and we wished to make it explicit.

With the Harmony list, we can certainly make it so - there are no
contributions by people not subscribed, so we can clearly make the
terms clear.

We want to make sure that anything that comes into SVN has a clear
pedigree, both for copyright and any patent licenses owned by the
contributor.

> Without a Copyright notice inside a mail ( and reference to any
> licensing
> attached to that ) posted on a globally public mailing list, would
> for sure
> be considered belonging to the public domain, where a "courtesy
> of..." is
> ethically right, but not required, in case of use.

I'm not sure about that.

> IIUIC;
> If I, the Contributor, have claims to something I publicly display,
> such
> display must contain any such claims. Without informing the
> audience, I have
> given up such claims.

That's not true at all.

> IANAL, but we could check whether I am out sailing completely or not.

Helm's alee... :)

> If this is case, then it is up to each mailing list participant to
> protect the
> works or forfeit the claims at his/her own discretion. Which "by
> default"
> then ends up being, chat along as much as you wish and anyone do
> whatever
> they like with the content of such discussion.

I'm not sure if this is true.  If it is, I don't think it makes life
better for us...

geir

geirm@apache.org