incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:28:29 GMT

On Jul 31, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 14:26 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> No, I agree with others that having different ways to handle
>>> contributions depending on how they were submitted is confusing.
>>>

>> Then what do you propose?
>>

> Be a little subversive and just make MIT/X the policy for all new work
> submitted to harmony since that seems the only thing we can agree on.
> Seeing some of the debates I think the dual licensing GPL/ASL ideas
> won't really fly. MIT/X gets us going for now. And I don't believe any
> harmony contributor has a problem with it.

We're seeing scope creep here.  The idea of the software in our SVN
being under anything but the Apache License won't fly.

I personally was happy to entertain ideas on how we might think about
working with contributions to the mailing list because the
collaboration between all communities is one of our goals.  However,
you've been clear that you won't be participating in the actual
development of code here, so I'm not sure why you'd want the above.

As for getting contributions also available under a different
license, I do believe that we can create a community meme in which we
encourage contributors to also, separately, make contributions
available under MIT/X for those that would accept that that ask for it.

>>   Having our codebase in SVN under anything
>> but the Apache License is going to be a non-starter.
>>

> Yeah, it would be a shame if we had to move the SVN repository to
> somewhere else.

We won't.

> Maybe we should just hope we keep harmony bug free till
> the ASF and FSF board come to an agreement how to handle the
> incompatibility. It looks like it won't be that hard since
> everybody now
> at least sees what the subtle issues with the patent termination
> clause
> are and they seem to be actually talking. Creative legal thinking
> seems
> to be popular with geeks so lets hope for the best.

Resolving these issues has always been our interest, Harmony
notwithstanding, so I'm hopeful that it will be a no-op one day.

geir

geirm@apache.org