incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:18:31 GMT
On Friday 29 July 2005 21:14, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Does adding a MIT licensed creative haiku on software licensing into each
> source file of an ASF work allow the NNUOFOTMITSL to redistribute the
> thereby created Derived Work (which includes ASFs code) as a whole under
> the MIT license, or under the MIT/ASL2 dual license [2]?

I have seen that somewhere in actual action.

But keep in mind, the license doesn't grant you the Copyright of the original
work (which even ASF doesn't own), so the added MIT license only applies to
the amendments. And I think it has been determined that CVS/SVN/diffs would
be good enough tools to figure out what is what.

So, the combined/derived work is licensed to the downstream users under MIT +
ASL licenses, not one or the other. Any ASF project that depend on BSD or MIT
licensed projects are expected to provide this information (what is what) in
NOTICE file(s) distributed with the releases, and the combined work has more
than one license attached to it.

I hope I manage to keep my tongue right...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message