incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r178965 - /incubator/public/trunk/site-author/learn/newcommitters.html
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2005 05:00:08 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> I don't like the idea of discussions about people's merit (or the people
> themselves, for that matter) happening in public right in their faces.
> For one thing, people have a tendency to be less candid; for another
> there's no anonymity to the vote; and finally (and most important) I
> think it's unfair to the individual in question, who will get all anxious
> and wound up as the voting proceeds.  'Will I make it?'  'What's *his*
> problem?' and other such distractions from coding.

Thanks for following up on that Ken. It has been on my todo.

I agree entirely with you.

Forrest was a recent PMC creation. We reviewed how other projects
operated and decided that it was best to do such discussion and
vote on the private list, then announce in public. Our reasoning
was exactly as you describe.

-David