incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:34:43 GMT
--On July 28, 2005 2:20:03 PM -0400 "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@apache.org>
wrote:

> The discussion is related to creating a policy for contributions made  to
> the *mail list* that works for everyone.

No, that's not how it works.  Changing the license terms for contributions
posted to the mailing list to only be X11 licensed (for example) would mean
that we may not be able to commit it to the tree under the ALv2 license.

For example, if someone (not a committer) submits a patch to the mailing
list and you have switched the list's licensing terms to X11 (which does
not include patent protections), it then means that I can't commit that
patch to our tree without requiring a *separate* authorization under ALv2.
However, if the mailing list is as defined in ALv2, then the act of
contributing grants the necessary terms.  -- justin