incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:06:59 GMT

On Jul 29, 2005, at 5:02 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

> When we started Harmony we all assumed that the FSF and ASF would talk
> out their differences about ASL and GPL in the long run and that we
> could and should just start cooperating on the technical level.

Yes, that is our intention still.

> Why we
> are proposing to just use MIT/X for any harmony contribution is
> just to
> get on with business for now.

That was not my understanding, as the standard policy is ASF code
under the Apache License.

I thought we were trying to figure out how we can work the *mailing
list* so that your concerns were met.

> So that all projects wanting to cooperate
> could reuse any new work coming out of Harmony.

There are two kinds of work-product from Harmony, which reflect the
two stated goals, and even the two stated groupings of initial
contributors on the original proposal :

1) The modular implementation architecture for VM and class library -
this was what I think is our main collaboration point, and we can
share experience and define specifications with this license problem
being less of an issue.

2) The Apache-licensed implementation of said architecture.

> It seemed the simplest
> least controversial suggestion that would get us going without needing
> to bring up the old ASLv2/GPLv2 flamewars again.
>
> If you and others think we as Harmony community should not do that
> during incubation then maybe Apache isn't the place to do this harmony
> cooperation for now.

Apache is the place for Harmony.

geir

geirm@apache.org