incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject RE: releasing from incubator? -- was: Re: a beehive release and the JSR 181 TCK issue
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:44:06 GMT
Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> It just doesn't make sense to me to tell a community that believes it
>>> a "1.0" quality product that they have to call it a "test snapshot".
>> Demo?  Technology preview?  Milestone?  Happy Meal?
> If we are keeping a project in incubation until its community is of
> higher quality, why would we legislate terms that have to do with code?

You did notice the "Happy Meal" quip, right?  If people want to try to come
up with a satisfactory label, fine.  I'm curious.

> > it is entirely intentional and deliberate that projects in the Incubator
> > not permitted to make anything that smells like an official release.

> I agree that they should not be permitted to make anything that
> resembles an official *ASF-endorsed* released.

> I am trying to separate code quality labels from branding.

> I just don't see what that has to do with letting a project
> indicate to its users what degree of stability their code
> base is at or whether they expect to maintain backward
> compatibility on their APIs

When users hear about a release, they assume a lot more than code quality.
Just as when they hear that a product reaches EOL, all of a sudden the
product sucks.  In fact, there was an interesting thread on JAMES today:

The end-user observed that "[the] initial impression we got was that Avalon
was so poorly designed or executed that it was closed due to embarrassment
or total frustration of the participating developers", when code quality had
nothing to do with the project's closure.

> (often signalled by the "1.0" milestone).

Unless it is a Microsoft product, in which case don't touch it before 3.1.

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message