incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache TSIK
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 08:19:15 GMT
On Sun, 22 May 2005, Ben Laurie <> wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> There is a proposed "PGP" package being discussed in Jakarta
>> Commons.  Would there be any overlap at lower levels (not at the WS
>> layer) between them, providing for some collaboration?
> This strikes me as orthogonal,

Same here.

> but it might be of interest that I'm currently working on a
> to-be-BSD-licensed (or equivalent) PGP C library.

Interesting, yes.

The goal of the commons component is to provide an easier API for the
"simple" task of signing a stream or verifying the signature.  This is
what the Maven and Ant build tools would need today.  En-/Decryprion
may come later as well.

There already exist at least two "license compatible" Java libraries
that provide OpenPGP functionality ( and
so the component is also going to provide an implementation agnostic
interface.  Bindings to command line invocations of OpenPGP compatible
toolkits or JNI bindings to a C-library would certainly be possible as

> BTW, its properly called OpenPGP.

We started with PGP (based on ignorance, mainly 8-) but have made up
our mind already and will call it commons-openpgp.  Unless we broaden
the scope even more so it would become commons-crypto - in which case
there'd be more overlap with XML security or TSIK.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message