incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 17:04:57 GMT
On 5/28/05, Eddie ONeil <ekoneil@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Putting general@incubator back on the thread.
> 
>   Noel, Geir, or Craig, can you confirm for everyone that we must pass
> the JSR 181 TCK before calling a release 1.0-final?

If the release includes code that claims to implement JSR181, then yes
it does (just like any other implementation of any other JSR).

If you released the non-JSR components separately, they would not be
under any such restriction.

> 
>   Thanks.
> 
> Eddie
> 

Craig

> 
> 
> 
> On 5/27/05, Jeremiah Johnson <jerjohns@bea.com> wrote:
> > Note that I narrowed the scope of my opinions to beehive-dev, so if
> > Craig, Noel, etc. are watching from general@incubator.apache.org, they
> > may not have seen your comments, Eddie.
> >
> > - jeremiah
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Eddie O'Neil
> > > Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 8:42 PM
> > > To: Beehive Developers
> > > Subject: Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
> > >
> > >
> > >    One other thing -- if someone (Craig, Noel, Geir, etc) can explain
> > > otherwise (that we can go -final without having passed the TCK)
> > > definitely let us know.
> > >
> > >    The sooner we do such a release, the better!
> > >
> > > Eddie
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Eddie O'Neil wrote:
> > > > Jeremiah--
> > > >
> > > >   It is my understanding after having talked to Craig and others who
> > > > have been involved in the process of implementing a JSR before that
> > we
> > > > *can't* do a release of a JSR implementation until the spec is
> > final.
> > > >
> > > >   At this point, JSR 181 is not final, and as such, we can't say
> > we're a
> > > > final implementation of it.
> > > >
> > > >   The process of getting the TCK to pass the Beehive WSM
> > implementation
> > > > is something that we're starting through the appropriate Apache
> > > channels.
> > > >
> > > >   As far as judging WSM, my understanding is that should be done
> > against
> > > > the TCK, which means that we need to wait for it to be public before
> > we
> > > > can pass it.
> > > >
> > > >   :)
> > > >
> > > > Eddie
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Jeremiah Johnson wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> I am not a committer, so I can't vote.  I do have an opinion that
I
> > > >> would like to express about the release.
> > > >>
> > > >> In the 'beehive release status' email from May 19, it said that
> > "we're
> > > >> not able to go for a 'Final' release as the JSR 181 TCK is not yet
> > > >> public".  It is unclear when the TCK will be public, so I disagree
> > with
> > > >> the logic of waiting for a final release.  It is unclear (to me) if
> > the
> > > >> TCK will even be for the version of JSR 181 that WSM has been
> > > >> implemented against.  There is a version of the JSR 181 that has
> > been
> > > >> voted final and Beehive WSM has been coded according to the current
> > > >> status of JSR 181.
> > > >>
> > > >> In looking at the JSR 181 status, I see that Sun has been 'assured
> > by
> > > >> the spec lead that both [of their concerns] will be address
> > quickly'.
> > > >> At least one of those concerns (full alignment with JAX-RPC 2.0)
> > will
> > > >> probably result in changes to JSR 181 and the TCK.  If the TCK
> > isn't
> > > >> available now, then it seems logical to me that the Sun changes
> > will be
> > > >> incorporated into the TCK before the TCK becomes public.  (Note
> > that
> > > >> even though I work at BEA - I have no connection to the JSR 181
> > spec
> > > and
> > > >> no idea what the status of the TCK is).  The cycles that seem
> > possible
> > > >> to me could just continue to push 1.0 Final.
> > > >>
> > > >> It seems sensible to me to be voting on going 1.0 and then when the
> > TCK
> > > >> is public and if Beehive can get it, then any incompatibilities
> > should
> > > >> be recorded as bugs.  I say 'if Beehive can get it' because it
> > seems
> > > >> that OSS projects in the past have had trouble getting TCKs and I
> > don't
> > > >> know if that will be the case with the JSR 181 TCK or not.
> > > >>
> > > >> WSM should be judged as best as possible against JSR 181 without
> > the
> > > >> TCK.  If WSM is judged to be in line with JSR 181, then go 1.0; if
> > not,
> > > >> then fix it.  I think that Beehive should be used as a 1.0 release.
> > > >>
> > > >> Those are my opinions.  Kill me now.
> > > >>
> > > >> - jeremiah
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>> -----Original Message-----
> > > >>> From: Eddie O'Neil
> > > >>> Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:02 PM
> > > >>> To: Beehive Developers; general@incubator.apache.org
> > > >>> Subject: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
> > > >>>
> > > >>> All--
> > > >>>
> > > >>>   The blocking bugs have been dealt with and we've been adding
> > > >>> documentation and samples furiously over the last couple of weeks.
> > > >>>
> > > >>>   At this point, I'd like to propose that we release a Beehive
1.0
> > > >>> milestone 1.  The code is ready to go -- though I believe that
a
> > few
> > > >>> committers have some outstanding documentation and samples still
> > to be
> > > >>> completed.
> > > >>>
> > > >>>   So, I suggest that we kick the tires of the branch at SVN change
> > > >>> 178556 in beehive/branches/v1/m1 (being created now) and let a
few
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> more
> > > >>
> > > >>> doc / sample related checkins trickle in over the next couple
of
> > days.
> > > >>> If anyone has concerns about this, please feel free to say so...
> > > >>>
> > > >>>   Tomorrow (Thursday), nightlies will be cut from this branch
so
> > that
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> a
> > > >>
> > > >>> binary distribution is also available for download.
> > > >>>
> > > >>>   Given the coming long weekend in the US, this vote will close
at
> > > >>> 20:00 (8:00PM) GMT on Tuesday, 05/31/2005.   Should be plenty
of
> > time
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> to
> > > >>
> > > >>> take the release out to play.  :)
> > > >>>
> > > >>>   I'll start this off with my +1.
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Eddie
> > > >>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>> =====
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Vote:
> > > >>> [+1] Yes, the release is ready to go from beehive/branches/v1/m1.
> > > >>> [0]  Abstain / not sure.
> > > >>> [-1] No, the release is not ready yet.  If you vote this way,
> > please
> > > >>> provide an explanation why and add what could be done to address
> > your
> > > >>> concerns.
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> >
> >
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message