incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 19:40:51 GMT
On May 6, 2005, at 9:20 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> The aforementioned issues between GPL and AL aside, I am still trying
> to see
> how the TCK licensing restrictions are compatible with the GPL.
> According
> to the FSF licensing page, the Apache License is deemed by the FSF to
> be
> "incompatible with the GPL because it has a specific requirement that
> is not
> in the GPL."  So how much worse are the TCK licensing restrictions?
> For
> examples, see the modified version of the AL that has been drafted for
> dealing with JSR's:
>  As I read
> things, it really does not seem possible to meet the requirements of
> both
> the GPL and the Java licenses.  And any bending necessary to accept
> the TCK
> terms should help to address the AL issue as well.

Note that, although the JSR license above is a proposal that has since
been modified (it is working through the approval process right now as
part of Day's JSR 170), the reciprocal patent license is actually a
requirement of the JSPA.  So, even if Sun has some other terms in
mind for their own TCKs, they will have to include a patent termination
clause that is almost identical to the one that the FSF claims in
incompatible with the GPL.

Personally, I think the FSF should just create a Java-specific license
that says what they want.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message