incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@ThoughtWorks.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 23:04:52 GMT
Yeah yeah, its a confusing Saturday so far. I was -ve to start with
(pointless with given size of vote so far) thinking there were some
legal problems. I read more before completing the mail (rules for J2SE
implementations from the OSS community) and figured that the angles had
been covered thoroughly by foundation lawyers, and send the +ve vote
instead (as a new mail). Unfortunately, the -ve response I drafted
earlier sat beckoning me to hit send as it languished in my drafts
folder. In a moment sheer impudence, and unbeknownst to my conscious
mind, my right hand released it from the Mac-Mail draft folder instead
of deleting it.

Thus ignore the -1 mail.

The thing I think is most interesting, is the possibility of writing a
JVM first, for language compatibility, then an AWT toolkit and all the
things that bind the Java env to a machine (
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/awt/Toolkit.html etc).

At that stage, and well in advance of the completion the J2SE
libraries, an individual in the privacy of their own home could
experiment with the those two and the jars taken from a regular Sun
download of J2SE. Of course nothing could be distributed with those
jars, nor deployed or redistributed beyond that experimental basis as
Java's download license precludes that.

- Paul