incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Liu <jeff...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache projects/software
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 21:57:14 GMT
Hi Milos,

I agree, sharing plugins is nice because you can decrease the file size.
Another drawback of having multiple private copies of the same jar is that
you may run into class loading issues. In Eclipse, each plugin has its own
class loader. And the same fully qualified class loaded by different class
loaders are the considered different, therefore, you may run into
collisions.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920
jeffliu@ca.ibm.com

Milos Kleint <mkleint@gmail.com>
05/03/2005 12:54 PM
Please respond to
general

general@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache
projects/software

if I want to use commons-logging as a Netbeans module/Eclipse plugin
(meaning my own module/plugin references commons-logging codebase),
then I need to bundle it myself a either part of my plugin or as a
separate one.
Having it as separate plugin has the advantage that multiple plugins
can reuse the same classes just by declaring a dependency on the
commons-logging plugin, whereas when I cobundle it as part of my
plugin it's not reusable by others.

actually maven should be able to generate eclipse plugin/netbeans
module binaries for any given project. (the maven plugins for that are
stored at mevenide.codehaus.org)

Regards

Milos kleint