incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Liu <jeff...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache projects/software
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 15:48:05 GMT
Hi Dion,

Thanks for your response. The existing repository won't work. Unlike a
Java application, putting JARs on the classpath is not sufficient to make
Eclipse aware of these libraries. Eclipse needs to work with something
known as an Eclipse plug-in, which is really the JARs themselves plus a
couple XML configuration files. So, in order to make use of the Eclipse
update manager, we need to bundle the JARs, the XML configuration files
and other files such as license/readme/etc together in the form of an
Eclipse plug-in.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920
jeffliu@ca.ibm.com

Dion Gillard <dion.gillard@gmail.com>
05/03/2005 10:33 AM
Please respond to
general

general@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache
projects/software

Is there a reason we can't reuse the existing repository at
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/ ?

In your example, Eclipse could be configured to check
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/axis/jars/ for an update?

On 5/3/05, Jeffrey Liu <jeffliu@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to propose a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache
> projects/software. This may not be the correct place to ask this, but I
> can find a better place to do it, so I decided to start here. If this is
> not the right place, can somebody point me to the correct location?
> Thanks! Reason I propose an Eclipse update manager site for Apache
> projects/software is because Eclipse projects such as the Web Tools
> Platform (WTP) project often reuses software that are provided by
Apache,
> for example, Axis, Tomcat, Derby, etc... Often times, these Apache
> software are not redistributed by the Eclipse projects, but instead,
they
> are listed as prerequisites. This means, end users must first download
the
> Eclipse project and all the Apache software prereq by the project, and
> configure these software in the Eclipse project before they can get
> started. This is error prone and hampers the out-of-the-box experience.
> Imagine the following scenario:
>
> A user downloads WTP. Unzip it and starts it up. S/he wants to create an
> Axis Web service. S/he launches the wizard that creates a Web service,
but
> finds out s/he needs Tomcat and Axis. So s/he opens up her Web browser,
> goes to the Apache Web site and looks for the download page for Tomcat
and
> Axis. S/he downloads and unzips Tomcat and Axis to the file system. Goes
> back to WTP and manually configures Tomcat and Axis into her workspace.
> S/he launches the wizard again and move on.
>
> This is easier than said. If there's an Eclipse update manager site for
> Apache software, then when the user finds out s/he needs Tomcat and
Axis,