incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 04:26:20 GMT
> But why bother to "work with others"? Why not just join the existing GNU
> Classpath and Kaffe projects and work within them?

> Geir indicated in a reply to my earlier posting that there were
> no specific objections to the Classpath license.

There is a list of issues with both the LGPL and the GPL+Exception for which
I do not believe we have satisfactory answers.  There is an on-going effort
to get the issues resolved, and that could be part of what comes out of
Harmony.  Remember that Harmony is about creating a reusable and free Java
platform.  It would not have to recreate Classpath if Classpath were
available to use.  As Mark noted in his e-mail, that is not currently the
case.

	--- Noel