incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 03:02:43 GMT

On May 6, 2005, at 10:54 PM, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Unfortunately, legally isn't it impossible for a GPL'd project and an
> ASF'd project to *have* "synergies"?

Only if you narrowly define "synergy" to mean combining differently-
licensed code.

> If GNU (who presumably have a copyright on all the Classpath code) are
> willing to relicense under the APL, then that would work. Same for
> Kaffe
> (though probably more difficult unless Kaffe require copyright
> assignment as part of contributions as GNU do). But the proposal
> document doesn't state either.

Right - we want to leave it to whoever shows up to talk about
whatever they want to do.

> Without that, only general "design
> principles" can be shared between Harmony and these projects, which
> really isn't of much use in the Classpath case as the classes must
> adhere to the Sun TCK which must be pretty detailed on library class
> behaviour.

Except that it's my understanding that the GNU "family" of projects
(Kaffe, GNU Classpath, GCJ, etc) all want to use GNU Classpath, and
are working out how to make it pluggable and modular.  We need the
same thing (would be great to have a VM that we could plug a
different classlibrary into to get J2ME, for example), so why not
work together?  Then when we get past the license problem, we can
intermix.

> Sharing design discussions with Kaffe developers may be
> somewhat more productive, but even so 90% of the work is in the code -
> which cannot be transferred to an APL-licensed project.

I'm not so sure.  There has been *tremendous* amounts of work out
there thinking about modular platforms, to help get different
performance profiles, for example.

> This proposal seems *so* much work to reimplement stuff already done
> under the GPL (unless that code can be relicensed as described above).
> I'm curious to know what the benefit of all that work is..

We'll, come help and find out :)

geir