incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
Date Sun, 29 May 2005 13:26:36 GMT

On May 28, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Eddie ONeil wrote:

>   Putting general@incubator back on the thread.
>
>   Noel, Geir, or Craig, can you confirm for everyone that we must pass
> the JSR 181 TCK before calling a release 1.0-final?

Only if claiming compliance w/ JSR-181.  JSR-181 is still working  
towards final release, IIRC, so given the timings of things, and if  
you don't want to wait,  maybe call that a feature of 1.1?

geir

>
>   Thanks.
>
> Eddie
>
>
>
>
> On 5/27/05, Jeremiah Johnson <jerjohns@bea.com> wrote:
>
>> Note that I narrowed the scope of my opinions to beehive-dev, so if
>> Craig, Noel, etc. are watching from general@incubator.apache.org,  
>> they
>> may not have seen your comments, Eddie.
>>
>> - jeremiah
>>
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Eddie O'Neil
>>> Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 8:42 PM
>>> To: Beehive Developers
>>> Subject: Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
>>>
>>>
>>>    One other thing -- if someone (Craig, Noel, Geir, etc) can  
>>> explain
>>> otherwise (that we can go -final without having passed the TCK)
>>> definitely let us know.
>>>
>>>    The sooner we do such a release, the better!
>>>
>>> Eddie
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Eddie O'Neil wrote:
>>>
>>>> Jeremiah--
>>>>
>>>>   It is my understanding after having talked to Craig and others  
>>>> who
>>>> have been involved in the process of implementing a JSR before that
>>>>
>> we
>>
>>>> *can't* do a release of a JSR implementation until the spec is
>>>>
>> final.
>>
>>>>
>>>>   At this point, JSR 181 is not final, and as such, we can't say
>>>>
>> we're a
>>
>>>> final implementation of it.
>>>>
>>>>   The process of getting the TCK to pass the Beehive WSM
>>>>
>> implementation
>>
>>>> is something that we're starting through the appropriate Apache
>>>>
>>> channels.
>>>
>>>>
>>>>   As far as judging WSM, my understanding is that should be done
>>>>
>> against
>>
>>>> the TCK, which means that we need to wait for it to be public  
>>>> before
>>>>
>> we
>>
>>>> can pass it.
>>>>
>>>>   :)
>>>>
>>>> Eddie
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Jeremiah Johnson wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> I am not a committer, so I can't vote.  I do have an opinion  
>>>>> that I
>>>>> would like to express about the release.
>>>>>
>>>>> In the 'beehive release status' email from May 19, it said that
>>>>>
>> "we're
>>
>>>>> not able to go for a 'Final' release as the JSR 181 TCK is not yet
>>>>> public".  It is unclear when the TCK will be public, so I disagree
>>>>>
>> with
>>
>>>>> the logic of waiting for a final release.  It is unclear (to  
>>>>> me) if
>>>>>
>> the
>>
>>>>> TCK will even be for the version of JSR 181 that WSM has been
>>>>> implemented against.  There is a version of the JSR 181 that has
>>>>>
>> been
>>
>>>>> voted final and Beehive WSM has been coded according to the  
>>>>> current
>>>>> status of JSR 181.
>>>>>
>>>>> In looking at the JSR 181 status, I see that Sun has been 'assured
>>>>>
>> by
>>
>>>>> the spec lead that both [of their concerns] will be address
>>>>>
>> quickly'.
>>
>>>>> At least one of those concerns (full alignment with JAX-RPC 2.0)
>>>>>
>> will
>>
>>>>> probably result in changes to JSR 181 and the TCK.  If the TCK
>>>>>
>> isn't
>>
>>>>> available now, then it seems logical to me that the Sun changes
>>>>>
>> will be
>>
>>>>> incorporated into the TCK before the TCK becomes public.  (Note
>>>>>
>> that
>>
>>>>> even though I work at BEA - I have no connection to the JSR 181
>>>>>
>> spec
>>
>>> and
>>>
>>>>> no idea what the status of the TCK is).  The cycles that seem
>>>>>
>> possible
>>
>>>>> to me could just continue to push 1.0 Final.
>>>>>
>>>>> It seems sensible to me to be voting on going 1.0 and then when  
>>>>> the
>>>>>
>> TCK
>>
>>>>> is public and if Beehive can get it, then any incompatibilities
>>>>>
>> should
>>
>>>>> be recorded as bugs.  I say 'if Beehive can get it' because it
>>>>>
>> seems
>>
>>>>> that OSS projects in the past have had trouble getting TCKs and I
>>>>>
>> don't
>>
>>>>> know if that will be the case with the JSR 181 TCK or not.
>>>>>
>>>>> WSM should be judged as best as possible against JSR 181 without
>>>>>
>> the
>>
>>>>> TCK.  If WSM is judged to be in line with JSR 181, then go 1.0; if
>>>>>
>> not,
>>
>>>>> then fix it.  I think that Beehive should be used as a 1.0  
>>>>> release.
>>>>>
>>>>> Those are my opinions.  Kill me now.
>>>>>
>>>>> - jeremiah
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>>> From: Eddie O'Neil
>>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:02 PM
>>>>>> To: Beehive Developers; general@incubator.apache.org
>>>>>> Subject: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
>>>>>>
>>>>>> All--
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   The blocking bugs have been dealt with and we've been adding
>>>>>> documentation and samples furiously over the last couple of  
>>>>>> weeks.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   At this point, I'd like to propose that we release a Beehive  
>>>>>> 1.0
>>>>>> milestone 1.  The code is ready to go -- though I believe that a
>>>>>>
>> few
>>
>>>>>> committers have some outstanding documentation and samples still
>>>>>>
>> to be
>>
>>>>>> completed.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   So, I suggest that we kick the tires of the branch at SVN  
>>>>>> change
>>>>>> 178556 in beehive/branches/v1/m1 (being created now) and let a  
>>>>>> few
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> more
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> doc / sample related checkins trickle in over the next couple of
>>>>>>
>> days.
>>
>>>>>> If anyone has concerns about this, please feel free to say so...
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   Tomorrow (Thursday), nightlies will be cut from this branch so
>>>>>>
>> that
>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> a
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> binary distribution is also available for download.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   Given the coming long weekend in the US, this vote will  
>>>>>> close at
>>>>>> 20:00 (8:00PM) GMT on Tuesday, 05/31/2005.   Should be plenty of
>>>>>>
>> time
>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> to
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> take the release out to play.  :)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   I'll start this off with my +1.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Eddie
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> =====
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Vote:
>>>>>> [+1] Yes, the release is ready to go from beehive/branches/v1/m1.
>>>>>> [0]  Abstain / not sure.
>>>>>> [-1] No, the release is not ready yet.  If you vote this way,
>>>>>>
>> please
>>
>>>>>> provide an explanation why and add what could be done to address
>>>>>>
>> your
>>
>>>>>> concerns.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>
>

-- 
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437
geirm@apache.org



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message