incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@ThoughtWorks.net>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 19:38:49 GMT
> If we want to integrate any new code produced by the Harmany effort
> into
> any of the existing projects, many of which are under the GPL or only
> accept code compatible with the GPL, and since the Apache Incubator
> terms allow modern BSD, MIT/X or MIT/W3C terms I think that is probably
> the best we can do for now. But as said before if we can (ab)use the
> Harmony project to get a strong signal to BOTH the FSF and ASF to fix
> any remaining incompatabilities between (L)GPL and ASL then lets do
> that!

Unless I am mistaken, Apache licensed code will never be able to
'legally' import GPL code.

The logic behind this -

GPL code can can import BSD, MIT, X11, W3C (etc) code but cannot
currently Apache licensed.  That may well be worked out with an
revision to the Apache Software License 2.0.

BSD (etc) is not currently able to import GPL licensed code.

Why would Apache licensed code be any different even if the current
issue were worked thru?

Its the lack of a reciprocal arrangement on legal/allowed importing
that is the long term blocker on ASF / FSF cooperation.

- Paul