incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Eddie O'Neil" <ekon...@bea.com>
Subject Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 01:36:13 GMT


Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> 
> On May 28, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Eddie ONeil wrote:
> 
>>   Putting general@incubator back on the thread.
>>
>>   Noel, Geir, or Craig, can you confirm for everyone that we must pass
>> the JSR 181 TCK before calling a release 1.0-final?
> 
> 
> Only if claiming compliance w/ JSR-181.  JSR-181 is still working  
> towards final release, IIRC, so given the timings of things, and if  you 
> don't want to wait,  maybe call that a feature of 1.1?

   Yes, that's definitely an option and one that I believe we will 
explore after we've completed the current milestone which includes all 
three pieces (NetUI + Controls + WSM).

   Then, as you mention, we'd add WSM down the line at some point.

Eddie



> 
> geir
> 
>>
>>   Thanks.
>>
>> Eddie
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 5/27/05, Jeremiah Johnson <jerjohns@bea.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Note that I narrowed the scope of my opinions to beehive-dev, so if
>>> Craig, Noel, etc. are watching from general@incubator.apache.org,  they
>>> may not have seen your comments, Eddie.
>>>
>>> - jeremiah
>>>
>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Eddie O'Neil
>>>> Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 8:42 PM
>>>> To: Beehive Developers
>>>> Subject: Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>    One other thing -- if someone (Craig, Noel, Geir, etc) can  explain
>>>> otherwise (that we can go -final without having passed the TCK)
>>>> definitely let us know.
>>>>
>>>>    The sooner we do such a release, the better!
>>>>
>>>> Eddie
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Eddie O'Neil wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Jeremiah--
>>>>>
>>>>>   It is my understanding after having talked to Craig and others  who
>>>>> have been involved in the process of implementing a JSR before that
>>>>>
>>> we
>>>
>>>>> *can't* do a release of a JSR implementation until the spec is
>>>>>
>>> final.
>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>   At this point, JSR 181 is not final, and as such, we can't say
>>>>>
>>> we're a
>>>
>>>>> final implementation of it.
>>>>>
>>>>>   The process of getting the TCK to pass the Beehive WSM
>>>>>
>>> implementation
>>>
>>>>> is something that we're starting through the appropriate Apache
>>>>>
>>>> channels.
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>   As far as judging WSM, my understanding is that should be done
>>>>>
>>> against
>>>
>>>>> the TCK, which means that we need to wait for it to be public  before
>>>>>
>>> we
>>>
>>>>> can pass it.
>>>>>
>>>>>   :)
>>>>>
>>>>> Eddie
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Jeremiah Johnson wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> I am not a committer, so I can't vote.  I do have an opinion  that
I
>>>>>> would like to express about the release.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In the 'beehive release status' email from May 19, it said that
>>>>>>
>>> "we're
>>>
>>>>>> not able to go for a 'Final' release as the JSR 181 TCK is not yet
>>>>>> public".  It is unclear when the TCK will be public, so I disagree
>>>>>>
>>> with
>>>
>>>>>> the logic of waiting for a final release.  It is unclear (to  me)
if
>>>>>>
>>> the
>>>
>>>>>> TCK will even be for the version of JSR 181 that WSM has been
>>>>>> implemented against.  There is a version of the JSR 181 that has
>>>>>>
>>> been
>>>
>>>>>> voted final and Beehive WSM has been coded according to the  current
>>>>>> status of JSR 181.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In looking at the JSR 181 status, I see that Sun has been 'assured
>>>>>>
>>> by
>>>
>>>>>> the spec lead that both [of their concerns] will be address
>>>>>>
>>> quickly'.
>>>
>>>>>> At least one of those concerns (full alignment with JAX-RPC 2.0)
>>>>>>
>>> will
>>>
>>>>>> probably result in changes to JSR 181 and the TCK.  If the TCK
>>>>>>
>>> isn't
>>>
>>>>>> available now, then it seems logical to me that the Sun changes
>>>>>>
>>> will be
>>>
>>>>>> incorporated into the TCK before the TCK becomes public.  (Note
>>>>>>
>>> that
>>>
>>>>>> even though I work at BEA - I have no connection to the JSR 181
>>>>>>
>>> spec
>>>
>>>> and
>>>>
>>>>>> no idea what the status of the TCK is).  The cycles that seem
>>>>>>
>>> possible
>>>
>>>>>> to me could just continue to push 1.0 Final.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It seems sensible to me to be voting on going 1.0 and then when 
the
>>>>>>
>>> TCK
>>>
>>>>>> is public and if Beehive can get it, then any incompatibilities
>>>>>>
>>> should
>>>
>>>>>> be recorded as bugs.  I say 'if Beehive can get it' because it
>>>>>>
>>> seems
>>>
>>>>>> that OSS projects in the past have had trouble getting TCKs and I
>>>>>>
>>> don't
>>>
>>>>>> know if that will be the case with the JSR 181 TCK or not.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> WSM should be judged as best as possible against JSR 181 without
>>>>>>
>>> the
>>>
>>>>>> TCK.  If WSM is judged to be in line with JSR 181, then go 1.0; if
>>>>>>
>>> not,
>>>
>>>>>> then fix it.  I think that Beehive should be used as a 1.0  release.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Those are my opinions.  Kill me now.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - jeremiah
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>>>> From: Eddie O'Neil
>>>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:02 PM
>>>>>>> To: Beehive Developers; general@incubator.apache.org
>>>>>>> Subject: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> All--
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   The blocking bugs have been dealt with and we've been adding
>>>>>>> documentation and samples furiously over the last couple of 
weeks.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   At this point, I'd like to propose that we release a Beehive
 1.0
>>>>>>> milestone 1.  The code is ready to go -- though I believe that
a
>>>>>>>
>>> few
>>>
>>>>>>> committers have some outstanding documentation and samples still
>>>>>>>
>>> to be
>>>
>>>>>>> completed.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   So, I suggest that we kick the tires of the branch at SVN 
change
>>>>>>> 178556 in beehive/branches/v1/m1 (being created now) and let
a  few
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> more
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> doc / sample related checkins trickle in over the next couple
of
>>>>>>>
>>> days.
>>>
>>>>>>> If anyone has concerns about this, please feel free to say so...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   Tomorrow (Thursday), nightlies will be cut from this branch
so
>>>>>>>
>>> that
>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> a
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> binary distribution is also available for download.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   Given the coming long weekend in the US, this vote will  close
at
>>>>>>> 20:00 (8:00PM) GMT on Tuesday, 05/31/2005.   Should be plenty
of
>>>>>>>
>>> time
>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> to
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> take the release out to play.  :)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   I'll start this off with my +1.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Eddie
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> =====
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Vote:
>>>>>>> [+1] Yes, the release is ready to go from beehive/branches/v1/m1.
>>>>>>> [0]  Abstain / not sure.
>>>>>>> [-1] No, the release is not ready yet.  If you vote this way,
>>>>>>>
>>> please
>>>
>>>>>>> provide an explanation why and add what could be done to address
>>>>>>>
>>> your
>>>
>>>>>>> concerns.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>
>>
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message