incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 12:19:33 GMT
Mark Wielaard wrote:

> I'll make sure I talk to one of the FSF legal people again to make sure
> there is progress in these discussions. Some people are setting up a new
> teleconference between the ASF and FSF to talk about these issues more
> directly.

The lengthy set of teleconferences we have been having have been
somewhat... inconclusive.

It is my hope that the harmony proposal accelerates that process.
Preferably with an answer that we all like.  But if not - at some point
even an answer that we don't like is better than lingering unanswered
open questions.

I'd also like to point out that we are not at that point yet.  Not even
close.  Apache incubation can be a fairly long process, particularly for
proposals such as this one.

This is still a lot of room for optimism.

Concrete questions to help focus the discussion:

   * Can ClassPath use APR?
   * Can Harmony use ClassPath?

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  I still believe that we all would be best served if the
meta-harmony discussions were moved to the harmony mailing lists,
reporting back as appropriate as we come to conclusions, but sometimes
it doesn't make sense to argue with a herd of elephants.