incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Fwd: [PROPOSAL] Apache TSIK
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 14:53:15 GMT
On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 20:05 +1000, Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> > - If yes, I am concerned having a permanent split is not the most
> > healthy thing for the Apache developer community.
>
> Is there anything intrinsically wrong with a different implementation of
> the same stuff in the ASF?

At the core of that question, of course not.

> One of the things that *might* be interesting, would be to look at each
> component and see where we can merge things together to come up with an
> even better whole.

This is a tautological kind of position that I possibly cannot argue
against :-).

However ...

*If* there was some cross participation in the projects of the people
coming in, then I agree this would be the expected outcome. However,
when you take an existing, active, Apache project (area) and inject a
brand new parallel path with two committers who appear to be new to
Apache and have no experience in the Apache codebase(s) (of necessity as
they had to do a cleanroom impl for their org I'll bet), then IMO its
not a healthy thing for our community.

I guess it depends on how you define community - to me its *first* the
current community and 2nd the people injecting some code into ASF.

I would prefer to see us put a requirement that during incubation the
project must build meaningful ties into the other WS projects - via
cross committers and interdependency. That requires the marriage that
you envision (and which I, of course, agree with) to occur before the
project can be considered to have passed incubation.

Sanjiva.