incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:51:10 GMT
On Apr 3, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> At least one person from the DB PMC has voted in favour of graduation,
> which I hope means that the project understands the issues of
> assuming oversight and feels comfortable doing so.  Having more
> people from the DB PMC/project weigh in on the vote would be
> nice. :-)

DB PMC hat on:

The only thing weighing on me about graduating Derby is that all the
committers, but one, work for the same employer. There are a number of
other folks under consideration, but they aren't committers (yet,
hopefully).

Ken makes a good point about it not being a TLP, and the DB PMC
prodding the developer community growth. I have to agree with this
argument, especially when I put it next to the DdlUtils project
(commons-sql) with, er, two committers.

Derby depends on nothing else at Apache (except ant for its build), and
is depended on by nothing else at Apache. This is *good* from a
technical point of view, but is a weakness from a community health
point of view.

To use DdlUtils as an example again, despite that project having only
two (active) committers on the project, another Db project, OJB is
dependent on the project (which is a big chunk of the reason we want to
get it out of the commons sandbox), and has a strong motivation
therefore to keep it going. OJB has a pretty good sized committer base,
and has already pushed past the ~retirement of the initial project
leader (who still pokes his head in on big design issues, but is
otherwise pretty much inactive). So, despite DdlUtils having a small
committer base when aiming for the same level in the ASF hierarchy
(subproject), it has a much larger developer community strongly
motivated to maintain it, even if they are not committers on it now.

Derby has a much larger committer base, but that committer base is
rather homogenous by ASF standards. No other ASF projects I am aware of
(except maybe Geronimo?) actually use Derby right now, or use it in
such a way that swapping out to HSQLDB isn't trivial. This lack of
dependency is good, technically, but does not build a strong community
support system (if all the BeanUtils committers were hit by trucks,
there is no real doubt that other Struts folks would step in
immediately).

DB PMC hat off:

I don't doubt the long-term viability of Derby. It is a great project
which works well, and has a responsive and growing developer community.
Even if the IBM committers were to be informed they were no longer
allowed to contribute under terms of their employment, I am confident
that despite the slowdown that would occur, the developer community
would step up (the db pmc would just need to do more work in the
interim).

I don't know "official ASF policy" on subproject acceptance (if there
even is such a thing), so have timeboxed my voting decision so that I
can learn more before having to chime in =)

-Brian