incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:41:19 GMT
To clarify my statement on project dependencies:

I think that Derby has already grown a large and diverse community
around itself, and that is important to consider as well. Projects
dependent upon derby, be they ASF or otherwise, have a significant
second-order effect on the project's truck number. Other ASF projects
dependent on Derby are a useful metric here as we are familiar with
those projects, to a greater or lesser degree.

Things Derby depends on (except from the licensing and technical points
of view) are not particularly relevant to estimating Derby's viability
(1), but things dependent upon Derby are quite relevant to estimating
Derby's viability. If you throw away good will and solely base
motivation on need, projects which have healthy communities which rely
on Derby are strongly motivated to help maintain Derby -- if the
current maintainers are incapable of doing so (otherwise most people
are happy to work on their own stuff).

That is the point I was awkwardly wandering towards. It is *not* a
substitute for the contributor/committer pool on the project itself,
but it is a relevant measure of the developer community invested in
Derby.

-Brian