incubator-general mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Sat, 23 Apr 2005 06:06:07 GMT
On 4/22/05, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> The three independent committers rule is an absolute minimum
> based on the legal fact that US employees are required to be
> loyal to their full-time employer *even* when we know the people
> involved are beyond question, independently minded, and dangerous
> to approach with anything like a "command from the boss."
> The project may be cruising along like a fully-formed Apache
> community, but it doesn't actually become one until the
> decisions are made by the community in fact (by virtue of
> having the vote), not just in appearance.

+1
In addition, I believe that no matter how independently-minded the
employees are, if the employer has a change in corporate priorities
and decides to move those valuable developer resources to another more
important project, I don't think it's safe to assume the
committer-employees will all resign so that they can continue working
on the project full-time.  I can imagine that they would _wish_ to
work as much as possible on the Apache project in their off-hours, but
that may or may not be enough to keep the project from dying (from the
inability to handle the needs of the user community before they
abandon the project in favor of a more responsive set of committers) .

Cliff