incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Incubator 2005Q2 Status Report to the ASF Board
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:42:37 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Derby is actively trying to expand the number and independence
> > of their Committers, with an eye towards graduating from the
> > Incubator.

> They're missing a status report.

Yes, although I'm fairly aware of what has been going on with them this
quarter.

> > The list of projects in the Incubator is at
> > http://incubator.apache.org/projects/.

> The Board cannot use a URL for reading status. The status must be
> submitted, incorporated into the agenda for our review, and then
> part of our long-term record of meeting minutes.

The Incubator quarterly report is sent in writing to the Board.  I just want
to clarify something, especially since I recognize the official nature of
your response.  Has the mandate that the Incubator PMC imposed on projects
to submit a report as an aid to preparing the PMC's Quarterly Report become
an obligation from the Board?

> It is certainly fair for you to list each incubating project and say
> "nothign to report".

I can reinstate the language used in my prior reports.

> That might raise some questions/concerns, of course :-)

Which the Incubator should recognize and address.  There are a number of
projects that are not only not providing a report, but have gone quite and
no longer respond to even direct queries.  I recently sent one to to check,
and now we'll need to discuss next steps.

My thought is to establish the notion of hiberation status, on the
philosophy that open source doesn't die, it just hiberates awaiting
community.  I dislike the comments people have made about morgues,
graveyards, etc.  But this is something I'll raise in the Incubator.

	--- Noel