incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:21:16 GMT

On Apr 22, 2005, at 8:40 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> On 22-04-2005 13:47, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Apr 18, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:
>> I'd love to see what some people think about the community - go look
>> at
>> the lists.   That is what I looked at first, and it gave me
>> confidence.
>
> Derby seems to be doing well at a casual glance. Kewl :D
>
>> <favorite_legal_hobby_horse_du_jour>
>
> Remember the rule is not just there for legal reasons. (I won't bother
> comment on the legal stuff.)

I don't think it's there for legal reasons.  But it does give
recognition to the status of the employer of a committer, in a way that
I think is inconsistent with how we treat the IP issues related to that
employer.  But we digress :)

> Are you confident that Derby would continue to thrive if IBM stopped
> dedicating resources to the project?

Is that the important question?  Or is the question "Are the derby
committers that work for IBM only doing it because IBM is telling them
to?"   Or is the question "Could the Derby committers that work for IBM
continue to do so after IBM stopped dedicating resources?"  (see
"favorite_legal_hobby_horse_du_jour", and yes, we digress again...)

I assume the answers are "no" and "yes", respectively.

> Could the one non-IBM-affiliated
> committer along with a hypothetical third person keep the project
> afloat and
> running smoothly?

The answer must be "yes", because we're willing to let the project out
of incubation with that third person, right?  The number has been the
stated objection.

> It doesn't sound like you think so.

I don't think I'd ever have bet-the-farm certainty on any project. I
track what's going on in Derby, and think that there is clearly
awareness of the issue, and there's positive efforts that indicate they
want to solve it...  I am willing to let that process continue under DB
project, but happy to accept the consensus that others don't, and will
work to fix here.  No biggie. :)

> Do all the Derby committers really think that's the case right now?
>

> Remember that Geronimo was in incubation a lot longer than Derby has
> been so
> far, for good reason.

Right, so wallclock shouldn't have anything to do with it.  (or if it
does, lets state that)

> Remember that the Directory project was started in an
> entirely different fashion and its community makeup is different in
> many
> ways. Two apache members in their active committer list at least I
> think,
> and several more apache regulars I believe. Don't compare apples and
> pears
> ;)

The stated issue is the # of committers, but the more important issue
in my opinion is rate of committer increase, because as you noted, they
need just 1 more to satisfy the letter of the law, and I think that it
is the spirit of that law that is really the important factor.  (I
would even argue that the incremental increase of 1 additional indep
committer makes no material difference to the overall outcome of the
project...)  It also has technical complexity issues that we saw (and
see) in Geronimo.  For those reasons, that's why I think they are
comparable.

I'm not trying to change the incubation status for Derby.  I'm fine
seeing Derby work out the committer issue here.  I'm just trying to
discuss some of these issues - raise awareness about our somewhat
inconsistent treatment of employers, and explore how simple hard and
fast rules don't always capture what we're trying to achieve.  It's a
mix of subjective and objective factors...

thx

geir

geirm@apache.org