incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:55:22 GMT

On Apr 22, 2005, at 9:33 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> I have no doubt that Derby can and will reach that level soon
> while staying inside the incubator.  Meanwhile, continued moves
> to give Derby special treatment are NOT APPROPRIATE.

I don't think that there is a move to give "special treatment", at
least that's not what I'm after.  I think that there is a reasonable
community around Derby (and recognized the problem in the new committer
creation rate from the beginning of this...) and I wasn't aware that
there was a hard and fast rule of 3 "legally independent" committers.
Instead, I thought it was a recommendation and good practice.  My
mistake, certainly.

I'm happy to wait for a third independent committer, who will
undoubtedly remove the concerns we have about the independence of the
other 10 existing committers :)

Maybe we should look for an additional metric for community health and
diversity for next time.  It could be in addition to the "rule of 3",
but I think this example shows where we can improve things to help
ensure healthy communities.

geir

geirm@apache.org