incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:22:34 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
[snip]

> We have the same problems as Derby within the Jackrabbit project,
> though not only did we *start* with a far more diverse set of
> committers, we actively encouraged new folks to take responsibility
> for their own contributions.  Nevertheless, it is quite clear to me
> that we haven't reached the point of graduation, and not just
> because the JCR spec is unfinished.  There simply isn't enough
> actively diverse participation to cause everyone to make all
> design decisions on the list instead of in private mail or
> hallway conversations.

I personally don't see this problem with Derby, all Derby design
decisions seem to be happening on the list. So I'm not sure if
Jackrabbit and Derby have the same problems.

Derby has a diversity of developers on the list, but not in its
committers. Everyone on the derby-dev list is encouraged to be involved
in all discussions, decisions & votes.

I think the lack of independence in its committers is Derby's only
problem, but that does not mean in this case a lack of diversity in its
developer base.

Dan.