incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:41:43 GMT
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> <snip />
> It's not so much "dissonance" as an exception.  In an incubating
> project, the developers are usually new to the ASF, and skipped the
> meritocracy step by virtue of association with the project before it
> entered Apache ("here's the list of committers"). Therefore it's
> reasonable to ask the incubating project to prove that not only can they
> write code, but they can build an active multi-participant community.
> If there really is still just one outside committer, then in my opinion
> the community has not yet passed that test; and rather than coding,
> those who care about that project should be advocating its existance to
> others, giving presentations at conferences, getting the middleware
> projects to support it as a peer to mysql and postgres, that sort of
> thing - all in the name of getting more outside involvement.
> <snip/>

There has been activity regarding the "getting the middleware projects
to support it as a peer to mysql and postgres" front, and it's getting
tracked here:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/integrate/misc.html

So far this list mostly tracks what is known to work, largely without
any special effort because derby is just a relational database that
talks sql and jdbc. Some users are going to the extra trouble to produce
and contribute detailed writeups, which helps others get going.

In other cases, list activity hightlights what doesn't work and it's
those cases that rely on volunteers to jump in, sift out, and post
followups. I suspect all that effort could be coordinated better.

At any rate, there's a definite interest in this area and it's getting
actively worked on by the derby community at large.

-jean