incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:07:14 GMT
Brian McCallister wrote:

> Derby depends on nothing else at Apache (except ant for its build), and
> is depended on by nothing else at Apache.

Let's not forget that the Derby codebase extends back to the dim dark
distant days of the 1990's before many of the ASF's Java projects even
existed.

Moreover the project needs to limit the number of external dependencies
so that it remains easy to embed, which is still a design goal.

As for use by other projects, most are database agnostic and can use
Derby through the JDBC API. We use it in Geronimo to provide database
services to applications and may extend that to internal data at some
point. Craig has said JDO is using it and I believe Torque now supports
Derby data bindongs as well.

--
Jeremy