incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:33:10 GMT
On Apr 22, 2005, at 2:22 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> I personally don't see this problem with Derby, all Derby design
> decisions seem to be happening on the list. So I'm not sure if
> Jackrabbit and Derby have the same problems.

How can you know?  I know the amount of progress that we are
making on Jackrabbit, and what we have left to do, because I can
see the communication dynamic behind the scenes.

The point is not that Derby or Jackrabbit have problems.
The point is that there is a minimum level of maturity that a
project reaches when it actively depends on participation
outside the original team.

The three independent committers rule is an absolute minimum
based on the legal fact that US employees are required to be
loyal to their full-time employer *even* when we know the people
involved are beyond question, independently minded, and dangerous
to approach with anything like a "command from the boss."
The project may be cruising along like a fully-formed Apache
community, but it doesn't actually become one until the
decisions are made by the community in fact (by virtue of
having the vote), not just in appearance.

I have no doubt that Derby can and will reach that level soon
while staying inside the incubator.  Meanwhile, continued moves
to give Derby special treatment are NOT APPROPRIATE.

....Roy