incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:14:53 GMT

> On Mar 7, 2005, at 8:05 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> > Is there any opposition or reservations in relation to the log4net
> > snapshot release mentioned by Nicko and myself a few days ago?
> >
> > If not could we allow log4net to move forward?
>
> If the subproject has cleared its IP issues sufficient to
> make a release, then it really should be graduated from
> incubator first.

The exit requirements are more onerous than just the release IP requirements. While we are
actively working towards meeting the exit requirements we currently feel that it would benefit
the project greatly to make a development (beta) release available now.

> After all, the logging PMC is already established and should
> take custody of the code before we make a release (unlike TLP
> incubating projects that may be waiting for a community to be
> established).

Are there different incubator exit requirements for TLPs and sub-projects? If so what are
they? The incubator policy docs appear to treat sub-projects and TLPs equally.

> I will note, however, that
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/projects/log4net.html
>
> indicates that none of the IP issues have been cleared, and
> thus we cannot release the code.  -1

I believe that the IP issues have been resolved and that this is more of a reporting problem,
however you are correct, we cannot release until this is resolved.

Assuming that the IP issues have been resolved do you foresee any other issues?

Many thanks,

Nicko