incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: What is a healthy community?
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:17:19 GMT

Here is my understanding of the discussion so far.

On the notion of responsibility:

There seems to be some confusion in the interpretation of a PMC
engaging its responsibility. When a PMC vouches for a release, it
vouches for the open development model as well as availability of
development resources ensuring future development. In other words,
accepting responsibility means vouching for the model as well as
resources.

Roy pointed out the distinction between vouching for the model and
vouching for resources. However, his later remarks about umbrella
projects lead me to believe that he doesn't think the distinction to
be important.

On the notion of community:

The ASF considers any project with less then 3 active committers as
not having a community. The consensus on the number 3 can be described
as very solid, if not frozen. My implicit suggestion to consider 2 as
an alternative was not well received.

--
Ceki Gülcü