incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: What is a healthy community? WAS: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:42:30 GMT
At 09:13 PM 3/12/2005, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > It seems to me that no one dares challenge the mythical 3 committer
> > requirement because of the fear of retribution.
>
>Why do you say mythical?  Is it imaginary, fictitious, lacking in factual
>basis or historical validity?  To the contrary.  You acknowledge its
>validity further along in your message:

I did *not* acknowledge the validity of the 3 committer rule, but nor did I
dismiss it.

> > Please note that I am not claiming that the 3 committer requirement is
> > entirely without justification. Obviously, the ASF does not want to end up
> > holding the bag for zombie projects. The existence of 3 active committers
> > appears like a simple and measurable way of ensuring longevity.

What is so special about the number 3? What's wrong with 5 committers? With
4? With 2? With 1?

>The Logging PMC has more then 3 people to vote, but are you willing to
>support the project if the one guy currently developing the code goes
>walkabout?  That has been the question I've consistently put to you from the
>very beginning.

I won't make any empty promises here. I don't think the LS PMC could take
over log4x code if the current contributors stopped working on it.

> > Instead of only admitting failure-proof projects, we should perhaps
> > take a chance with small yet innovative projects.
>
>That is one purpose for the Incubator.  To take those chances on small, yet
>innovative, projects, but also to ensure that before they become ASF
>projects, they are sustainable.

Does "sustainable" necessarily mean 3 or more committers? Is a project with
a single committer yet consistent committer less viable than a project with
30 disillusioned and inactive committters?

What do people involved with several different projects have to say on the
matter?

--
Ceki Gülcü