incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: What is a healthy community? WAS: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:08:56 GMT
At 07:53 PM 3/12/2005, Roy T.Fielding wrote:
>On the contrary, the rule is that you must have at least three
>binding +1 votes from the PMC in order to make a release of anything.

Roy,

For me, the accepting responsibility over a project, say X, translates into
an engagement to take over  project X if and when the existing committers
stop working on it. When PMC members cast a binding vote on a given release
of project X, they are approving the release, in the sense that the release
is "OK". Their binding vote does *not* mean that they are able to take over
the project in terms of development resources. Thus, accepting
responsibility and casting binding votes do not have exactly the same
meaning. Would you agree?

If taking responsibility means exercising oversight over the sub-projects
in Logging Services, then I think the LS PMC can only accede to your and
Noel's request. That much seems pretty obvious.

However, if taking responsibility means providing the development resources
in case a sub-project  lacks development resources, we cannot collectively
make such a pledge. I also have to say that insisting on such a pledge
strikes me as unreasonable. How can a PMC pledge resources it does not have
or control? The only development resource the PMC "controls" are the
individuals composing the PMC. To be precise, each voting PMC member
controls one resource: himself.

--
Ceki Gülcü