incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject What is a healthy community? WAS: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:20:49 GMT

In order to avoid prejudicing log4net, I would appreciate if we could
distinguish between the log4net case and the *general* question of what is
a healthy community.

It seems to me that no one dares challenge the mythical 3 committer
requirement because of the fear of retribution. The thinking goes likes
this. If I challenge the 3 committer rule, then my project would look like
it does not have a healthy community, so its better to swallow the pill and
pretend the 3 committer requirement fits the bill on every occasion. In a
nutshell, if the first one to step forward gets whacked, no one will dare
to step forward. The rule will never get challenged. Time will buttress it
as tradition, with chances of successfully changing it diminishing over time.

Please note that I am not claiming that the 3 committer requirement is
entirely without justification. Obviously, the ASF does not want to end up
holding the bag for zombie projects. The existence of 3 active committers
appears like a simple and measurable way of ensuring longevity. But is it
really that simple? How do you define an active committer? Is
it  frequently exercising voting rights? Participating in discussion
groups? Coding?

My impression is that the 3 committer rule has not avoided several Apache
projects from becoming zombies. Instead of only admitting failure-proof
projects, we should perhaps take a chance with small yet innovative
projects. At the end, doesn't death await most software projects?

Just my 2 unsolicited cents.

--
Ceki Gülcü