incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:19:39 GMT
Noel,

You have raised the exact same legitimate concern about log4cxx.

Knowing log4X does not necessarily mean knowledge of log4Y, especially to
the extent of taking over a project if and when the need arises. As such,
having the LS PMC project take responsibility for log4cxx or log4net would
be nothing more than an empty promise. However, I am happy to relay your
concern to the LS PMC for their opinion on the matter. Also, I may not
correctly understand what you mean by "take responsibility". Would you care
to clarify what you mean exactly by the term "taking responsibility"?

The "truck numbers" for log4cxx and log4net seem to range between 1 and
1+epsilon where epsilon is a real number close to zero. The situation for
many other Apache projects may not be that much different either. Many
smaller "component" projects do not require several active developers. One
core developer is all that is required to get the project going. Once they
reach a certain level of stability, many "component" projects only require
a small amount of investment. Such projects' needs can be attended to by a
loose community of semi-active committers.

The point I am trying to make is that smaller projects can do well with
only a single but active committer while
bigger projects can overcome the test of time only in the presence of
several active committers. I feel that the strong coupling between the
required number of active commiters and the size and scope of a project
should be duly recognized by the ASF. This subject matter was probably been
beaten to death on previous occasions. Any pointers to such discussions
would be highly appreciated.

--
Ceki Gülcü