incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:51:19 GMT

To summarize:

1) The foundation records attest that a software grant for log4net has been
received by the foundation.

2) All log4net committers have sent in their signed CLAs.

3) All code in the logging-log4net CVS repository is Apache licensed.

4) Log4net does not depend on any third party libraries, except obviously
for the C# (.NET) runtime environment.

Log4net currently supports the following runtime environments:

Microsoft .Net Framework 1.0 (1.0.3705)
Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 (1.1.4322)
Microsoft .Net Compact Framework 1.0 (1.0.5000)
Mono 0.25 or higher
Microsoft Shared Source CLI 1.0

Maybe a stupid question but what is the foundation's position on depending
on the Microsoft .Net Framework? On Mono? Do we have a position?

At 12:38 PM 3/9/2005, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

>The foundation records attest that a software grant has been signed by
>Richard Hobbs of Neoworks Limited for the log4net source code. Public
>mailing lists indicate that this was done around 2004-01-26 after which
>the software was imported into the logging-log4net CVS repository.
>
>The foundation records also attest that log4net committers
>
>   Nicko Cadell <nicko@neoworks.com>
>   Gert Driesen <gert.driesen@pandora.be>
>   Niall Daley  <niall@neoworks.com>
>
>have sent in their signed CLAs.
>
>It also appears that all log4net code has been updated to reflect the new
>ASF copyright. I did not yet verify the question of redistribution of
>software originating outside the ASF and the subsidiary question of
>approved licenses.
>

>At 08:14 PM 3/8/2005, Roy T.Fielding wrote:
>>On Mar 7, 2005, at 8:05 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>>>Is there any opposition or reservations in relation to the log4net
>>>snapshot release mentioned by Nicko and myself a few days ago?
>>>
>>>If not could we allow log4net to move forward?
>>
>>If the subproject has cleared its IP issues sufficient to make
>>a release, then it really should be graduated from incubator first.
>>After all, the logging PMC is already established and should take
>>custody of the code before we make a release (unlike TLP incubating
>>projects that may be waiting for a community to be established).
>>
>>I will note, however, that
>>
>>    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/log4net.html
>>
>>indicates that none of the IP issues have been cleared, and thus
>>we cannot release the code.  -1
>>
>>....Roy

>--
>Ceki Gülcü