incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is a healthy community? WAS: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:29:22 GMT

On Mar 13, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> Data Point #3: Need clear guidlines "3 people who can +1 a release,
>> from 3 different companies"?
>
> That issue was addressed earlier with respect to XMLBeans.  I don't
> know
> that there really is a definitive answer other than that we want to
> make
> sure that there is sufficient oversight and independence from any given
> employer.

The trouble I have here is that I like to believe that company
affiliation is left at the door when it comes to governance, and is
irrelevant when it comes to technology in that of your employer wants
you to implement the Frooble Device driver, you implement it, as long
as there aren't valid technical reasons not to.

IOW, as long as employment considerations don't enter into decisions
about governance, it's fine.  If it does happen, the board can step in,
or someone can fork it.

I think this is even less of an issue when it becomes a part of a
larger, healthy PMC.

geir

geirm@apache.org