incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is graduation subject to veto?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:50:00 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2005, at 9:44 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>> Er, just a vote -- there is no veto for this type of decision.
>>
>> Actually, althought it has never been necessary to address so far, I do
>> recall discussion of a -1 veto option graduation.  Yes, it is a policy
>> decision, but it effects importing code under the auspices of the
>> Foundation, and it isn't unreasonable to have a higher bar.
>
> I tend to agree. If someone feels strongly enough to veto a
> graduation, we should address it. As Noel implied, we
> could consider graduation as a sort of major league code
> patch :)

If you want to object any code on a technical basis, feel free.

I, however, would rather a graduation be viewed as akin to a release.
What I am most afraid of is for somebody to use a veto as a tool to
squelch what they view as a "competing" project.

Concrete examples: there was once some (unfounded) concern that I would
veto and or lobby against the establishment of the Maven project.  More
to the point: there have been attempts within the general Avalon
community to squash another groups efforts.

Look at how we approve projects within the board.  We generally look for
the existance of a healthy community firmly anchored by a code base, and
then we approve it by a majority vote.  Votes are rarely close: we
either overwhelmingly approve it, otherwise we generally conclude that
perhaps this month is not quite the right time to move forward with this
particular resolution.  Often this is because one of us has some
actionable concerns, and others on the board echo and respect those
concerns.  We rarely disapprove outright - preferring to leave the door
open.

It appears that this the spirit in which Roy expressed his -1.  Since
Roy's comments appear thoughtful, constructive, and actionable, I will
echo his -1 for the moment.

- Sam Ruby