incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:25:10 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I vote -0. Ideally, a more diverse group of contributors
> would alleviate concerns, or at least some plan of
> action, post-graduation, which would address those
> concerns.

There is a plan in place to do this which would continue after graduation.

There are currently several people working on contributions including
Shreyas Kaushik, Tomohito Nakayama, Bernd Ruehlicke, Mamta Satoor, and
others. Hopefully one or more will become committers soon, but I think
it would be irresponsible to rush such a vote simply to aid graduation.

We are in the process of adding items to the project todo list that are
less tied to the internals making it easier for people to find areas
where they can start to contribute to the project. There are several
people, including Brian and Geir, eager to get their hands on something.
I think this bodes well for diversity in the longer term.

Finally, IBM has clearly demonstrated that they are willing to let their
people work on features/fixes as determined by the project. For example,
there have been several changes already that break compatibility with
DB2 and people have been very forthcoming with information on how
Cloudscape was changed to become DB2 like and how those changes can be
undone if desired; that information would have been hard to find just
from the code alone.

So although most committers do work for one company, there is a
demonstrated diversity of behaviour that should be considered.

--
Jeremy