incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Derby from the incubator
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:48:14 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Actually, I agree with you, and others have expressed the same concern,
> although without casting a vote.  Adding new Committers is probably the #1
> issue facing the Derby project, which has otherwise performed excellently to
> date.  As even Jeremy pointed out, were IBM to withdraw (however unlikely)
> from Derby, it would be a serious blow.

I also pointed out that there is a scale of impact. Derby is not alone
in this; picking on no-one in particular, Logging would also be impacted
if Ceki withdrew. Likelihood and community reaction are factors that
should be considered.

> I have great respect for everyone involved in the Derby project, but I don't
> believe that special consideration should be given.  That is a slipperly
> slope, which would cause other projects to either ask for the same special
> consideration or cry foul about favoritism.

I don't believe Derby is seeking, or even wants, special consideration -
just a realistic evaluation of the situation.

--
Jeremy