incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is graduation subject to veto?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:13:16 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>

>>Er, just a vote -- there is no veto for this type of decision.
>

> Actually, althought it has never been necessary to address so far, I do
> recall discussion of a -1 veto option graduation.  Yes, it is a policy
> decision, but it effects importing code under the auspices of the
> Foundation, and it isn't unreasonable to have a higher bar.

There are some graduation criteria, such as licensing or IP issues, that
are clearly objective and for those a veto option would be appropriate.
I would trust, though, that we would never obtain concensus should any
such issue exist.

Other criteria, for example the diversity of the community, are more
subjective. Simple consensus seems more appropriate.

Citing the recent Derby discussion, Roy voted against with clear issues
that have been resolved; however, the issue with community is far muddier.

--
Jeremy