incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Prepping for Derby graduation vote
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:44:40 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>I'd like to open the discussion about Derby graduating from the
>incubator.  The project has accomplished all of its stated
>goals save for the acquisition of several additional committers.
>I attest that the project is being operated according to the
>Apache guidelines and method, and that the community has
>adopted them and taken them to heart.

Yes they are trying and are aligned with the Apache way.  I'm confident
they will attract more of a diverse community over time.  And as you say
they are not going to be a TLP immediately so they have the support and
experience of the DB PMC.

I myself have been looking at Derby especially where I could potentially
get involved.  Derby is very mature and has everything I already need in
an embedded RDBMS.  Sometimes it is difficult to attract new committers
when the product is this complete.  Mature OS projects usually have a
greater user to committer ratio.  Perhaps if it had issues that required
more of an itch to scratch the flux of new committers would be greater.

It's time for graduation.  The user community is awaiting an Apache
Derby release outside of the incubator.  Over time, a fraction of the
user community will undoubtedly merge into the committer community.
Futhermore Geronimo uses Derby, and the Directory project is interested
in experimenting with backends based on Derby.  The cross project
interest is there and that will help grow the committer base.

<snip/>

>Does anyone think this discussion is premature?

Not at all ... speaking for myself I'm eagerly awaiting the discussion.

 -- Alex