incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Prepping for Derby graduation vote
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:42:53 GMT
As that one committer I am also comfortable discussing this.

The user community is growing continuously and is very diverse. The
developer community, while not as diverse as we would like, has
demonstrated that it is following its charter (found at
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/ ), is operating independently of the
main employer, and is following Apache guidelines and method.

The committers have already committed (sorry) to growing the developer
base and have discussed approaches that will encourage that. I would be
willing to commit to the I-PMC and/or DB-PMC that we will continue that
process after leaving the incubator.

I would also point out that the number of database-internals wonks with
the time or even the contractual ability to work on an open source
database project is limited; for example, anyone with hard-core SQL
query optimization experience is probably employed by a vendor somewhere.

To overcome this, we are reexamining the roadmap so that there is less
focus on database internals and more on integration and management. How
this plays out will depend on the user community and what they want to
see implemented, and the diversity there can only help. There are
several people actively contributing already and I expect to see more as
time goes on.

I do not think that the Derby community is ready at this time to become
a TLP. However, I do believe we should discuss leaving the incubator
heading for the DB project.

--
Jeremy