incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: What is a healthy community? WAS: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:06:49 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>

>>However, one core  component of democracy is the  separation of powers
>>and independence between the 3 branches of government.
>>

>If you are referring to the U.S. model, that isn't a democracy either.
>It's a republic.  Again, there are similar aspects but they are quite
>different.

Could not help but voice this opinion :).

A republic is a state that pays representatives to vote for you on your
behalf.  In one extreme, a republic can almost approach a Democracy.  In
the other end of the spectrum, a republic approaches an Aristocracy
according to jean-Jacques Rousseau ("When people rule by their wallets
...").  IMHO America is definately an Aristocracy even though we pretend
that money does not creep into the picture.  Lobbies are proof that
money matters.

I don't want to compare Apache to what we "market" as Democracy here.
Personally I think of Apache more as a Technocratic Meritocracy.  Here
you're knowledge of the currrent topic (Technocracy) in combination with
your energy input (Meritocracy) determines you're role in driving the
issues at hand.  I like to think of passion and wisdom as our driving
human factors in governance rather than greed.

<snip/>

Oh and +1 on having a threshold/requirement of 3 or more peeps to a
project.  It takes 3 to have a party (the fun kind).

My 0.02,
Alex