incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate iBATIS and recommend as TLP
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:37:20 GMT
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:41:18 -0500, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> Ted,
>
> It seems appropriate to graduate, but should iBATIS be a TLP, or go under
> db.apache.org, along with Derby and related Jakarta Commons code that has
> been moving, in your opinion?
>
>         --- Noel

We did discuss it when the application for incubator was made (see message #4003 of 09 Aug
2004), but given that the db project has been revitalized lately, it is worth mentioning again.

The primary issue is scope. Currently, iBATIS has two core products, along with the usual
examples and documentation bundles. The core DataMapper is an adapter that transfers data
between database statements and objects. The second product is a DAO framework. Both products
are available for Java and C#. Counting the example applications and documentation, we have
eight product distributions in play now, overseen by six very active PPMC members. Some of
us would like to start a PHP5 implementation before long. To keep all the products compatible,
we also plan a specification product. That would bring the total number distributions to twelve
or more.

As it stands, the iBATIS product line is cohesive since the products share common implementation
strategies and will ultimately be implementations of a formal specification.  iBATIS is only
loosely coupled to the other db.apache.org products. The products all involve database technologies,
but they do not share a common codebase or coding paradigm, or, AFAIK, development community.

IMHO, merging the iBATIS PPMC with the db PMC would tend to create a granfaloon [http://www.kcoyle.net/granfalloons.html]
:) rather than a karass. :)

-Ted.